The first ear infection that I had was when I was in college. I was miserable and had to sleep on the infected ears overnight because it was a Sunday and the pharmacy closed before I could get my prescription filled. My sister, on the other hand, had recurrent ear infections as a child.
As a parent, my first child got ear infections each time that she cut a tooth. Many babies have this problem and find themselves on one round of antibiotics after another. I've never liked using antibiotics for myself and only use them when necessary. I'd read that many times ear infections will clear up in babies and children on their own. In fact, many pediatricians do not give out antibiotics for the majority of ear infections.
However, each time that my baby stopped eating and cried when i laid her down, I knew that I needed some help. I would take her to the doctor and sure enough, she'd have yet another ear infection. They'd give me a prescription for antibiotics for her to take for at least a week or two.
Knowing that antibiotics destroy the good bacteria in your intestines, I would give her acidophilus (the good bacteria that occurs in your intestines) every day to help her intestines to stay balanced and healthy. Despite giving her the acidophilus, I did not like having to give her antibiotics every time that she got an ear infection. The antibiotics also took a couple of days before they really started working. So, for a couple days I had to give her Motrin around the clock to take away the pain of the ear infection so that she would eat and sleep.
Giving my baby antibiotics along with Advil around the clock was not the best solution. I came across information that told about a natural cure- using olive oil with garlic in it. Garlic is known to have natural anti-septic and anti- inflammatory properties. You can either prepare your own garlic olive oil ear drops, or you can buy them at a health food store. I've bought mine from a website online called Vitacost because they have a good price on them.
The first time that I used them on my daughter, I was skeptical. I didn't know
if they'd really help that much. I was floored because my daughter immediately felt better after just the first dose. She was able to eat and sleep right away without any added pain relievers. When she took antibiotics, it took a couple days before the medicine took effect. I was so shocked that this natural remedy worked so quickly. In fact, one night she woke up during the night crying because her ears were hurting. I put the ear drops in both ears...VOILA- she fell back asleep instantly.
I know mothers cannot bear to see their children in pain. Mothers also want the remedy that is the healthiest for their babies and the quickest. These garlic oil ear drops do both- they work quickly and are a completely natural remedy.
When using any kind of medicine, there are always tips and tricks that can make the process much easier. Below are some tips that I've found from personal experience.
- Temperature- The ear drops should be at body temperature. If they are cold or hot, it will hurt the delicate tissue inside the ear. There are some different methods of warming them. You can warm some water in a mug (the water shouldn't be hot but should be pretty warm) and submerge the bottle of drops into the water. Or, you can put the container under your underarm or between your legs to get them warm.
- Travel- If we go anywhere overnight, I bring our ear drops with us. Even though you can find them at most health food stores, it's much easier to have them on hand if you need them.
- Entertainment- Depending on the age of the baby or child, they will need some entertaining to hold still long enough on both sides to let the drops work their magic.
- Babies- If your baby is nursing, you can try to put the drops in while they're nursing. If that bothers them, then you can use a toy to entertain them as you cradle them on their side. You can walk around, bounce them, dance and sing, or pretty much anything that works to keep them entertained enough to stay on their side.
- Children- Once the child is old enough to hold still, it is much easier to keep them still and on their side. With my daughter, I will read to her or let her watch TV.
All parents want to cure their baby or child of ailments quickly, especially one that can cause tremendous pain. Finding cures that are natural and don't have harsh side effects is a gift to parents. Not only are these natural cures quicker and healthier, they are also friendlier to the wallet.
If you're skeptical about this natural cure for ear infections, I was in the same place years ago. Now, I am incredibly thankful that I stumbled upon this natural remedy, which was just the beginning of my journey with natural remedies.
Wishing good health and wellness to all my readers- big and small